Week One Reflection

Hannah French
Senior Project
5 May 2019

I have a had a great time working with these kids during this first week at the East Andover Village Preschool. They are so energetic entertaining to be around, there is never a dull moment. They are like sponges, they want to just learn and have a great time while doing it. I have learned a lot about myself while working here. This age group of students (ages 3-5 years old) are very honest and really don’t have a filter. I love coming to school everyday and seeing the boys wearing princess dresses and the girls building houses out of legos. What is so special about working with these children for me is that for the most part they are untouched by societal pressures. The boys can dress up as Snow White and their favorite color can be purple, and girls can like playing with trucks. They really do whatever makes them happy, which I think a lot of us forget about doing as we get older. Many of us fall into the trap of putting themselves in “a box,” holding ourselves to unrealistic expectations  or just worrying too much about other people’s opinions. At EAVPS they are really open to just letting the kids embrace who they are and how they feel which I think is so important.
Each day there is a different dynamic because there are different children which means different personalities. In this week alone, I have been able to spend individual time with each child, whether we were  counting, doing puzzles, or reading books. I am now able to see which kids are more independent and which kids really rely on the teachers. I have learned the significance of small gestures. When I read to the kids a book some will lie their heads on me or some will wrap their tiny hands around my fingers and there is really not a better feeling than that. They really care so much and look up to you as a role model.
I also have worked closer to my goal of gaining more responsibility. Working in a preschool there are so many children you have to watch all at once, and the most important thing is their emotional and physical safety.

Overall this week has went really well, and am I happy I am learning the daily routines. I so thankful to be able to be helping out here during Senior Project and I can’t wait for the upcoming weeks.

Comments

  1. Wonderful reflection, Hannah! EAVP is a special place. Thanks for giving your time to Anders and the rest of the flock!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog